- (countable) An award is something that you give to someone who has done something very well.
- Each year, Westinghouse announces the winners of its awards for the best high-school science projects.
- He won the National League's Most Valuable Player award in 2007.
- (countable) An award is money that a court decides should be given to somebody who has won a legal case.
- The lawyer often takes 10 to 30 percent of any awards of damages.
- (transitive) If you award somebody something, you officially give it to them, usually because they have done something well.
- A total of $205,000 in prize money will be awarded, with $50,000 for the winner and $25,000 for second place.
- (transitive) If you award somebody something, you officially decide that somebody should receive money or a contract.
- The judge ruled that the company had no just cause for dismissing Morsi, and he was awarded damages.
- The company was awarded a contract worth $2.3 billion to build the new highway.