- country is part of the Basic English 850.
- A land that is controlled by a government.
- (usually "the country") (uncountable) Places outside or far from cities; the type of place where farms are. The countryside.
- We live way out in the country.
- I come from the country, so I don't like the busy city.
- (informal) (uncountable) A certain place, in general.
- You're in Nascar country now.
- We're away from civilization and in God's country.
- (informal) (uncountable) A kind of (mostly American) music started by people who lived far from cities. Short for country music.
- I've been listening to a lot of country this month.
- Away from the city.
- We were driving down a country road, with trees all around.
- (informal) Typical of farms or places away from cities. Typical of country people.
- His way seeing the world is so country.
- Her appartment looks very country.
- Chewing tobacco is a such a country thing to do.
- I love country cooking, especially fried chicken.