- (countable) A matter is something that you can talk about or do something about a topic or a situation.
- Government must make these changes as a matter of urgency.
- We can discuss the matter more fully at the meeting.
- Whether our people should be in the country or not is matter for debate.
- At the meeting we will have time to talk about new matters arising.
- They decided on a number of matters related to housing.
- Try not to do anything to make matters worse.
- As a matter of principle, we should try to help poor people.
- It is not a simple matter to stop using gasoline.
- Care Assistants help them with such matters as toileting, dressing, washing and so on.
- The truth of the matter is that we do not know how to do it.
- The questions about the new president are a matter of public concern.
- Cheating on a test is a serious matter.
- (uncountable) Matter is the stuff that everything is made of.
- Cities are trying to separate organic matter and other garbage.
- Scientists now think that there is some kind of "dark matter" in space.
- You use, "as a matter of fact" to add information that may be surprising.
- "Have you met anyone interesting over there?" "As a matter of fact, I met a whole bunch of people just this afternoon.
- You use "what's the matter" to ask somebody why they are unhappy, or why there is a problem.
- You use "for that matter" when you have just thought about something that you are comparing to something else.
- He wasn't very nice today. For that matter, he's never nice.
- If something is only a matter of time, it may not happen now, but it will happen after some time.
- It's only a matter of days now before I start the new job.
- You use "no matter what" to say that even if other things change, a particular thing will not change.
- I'll be there no matter what. I promise.
Related words change
- (intransitive) (usually negative) If something doesn't matter, it is not important.
- "Should I put it up there?" "Oh, it doesn't matter. Put it anywhere."
- Anyone can play. It doesn't matter if you're seven or 70.
- It doesn't matter what you do as long as it's fun.
- Many people don't like me, but that doesn't really matter to me.
- This should help a lot of people and that's what matters.
- "Sorry about that!" "Oh, it doesn't matter."
- It's not your money, so what does it matter?