- (transitive & intransitive) If you measure something, you calculate its size, mass, temperature, etc. using units like centimetres, kilograms, degrees, etc.
- Synonym: assess
- Before clocks, time was measured by the movement of the moon and the sun.
- Ireland's smallest church measures 3.6 cm by 1.8 m.
- A measure is something that you do, usually to solve a problem.
- Synonym: step
- The police are taking all necessary measures to guarantee the safety of people.
- (formal) A measure of something is a way to judge or assess it.
- Synonym: unit
- A measure of something is an amount of it.