- enPR: bôl, IPA (key): /bɔːl/
- (Canada) IPA (key): /bɑl/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Homophone: bawl
- (countable) A ball is a round thing. People often use them to play games.
- The croquet ball was hit through the wicket and the game was over.
- A ball is hit with a racquet in tennis.
- A ball is a formal dance.
- There is an inaugural ball following the swearing-in of the new President.
- Cinderella lost her glass slipper at the Prince's ball.
- (slang) (usually plural) the testicles
- John's balls ached because he hadn't had sex in two days.
- (slang) (usually plural) "guts", fortitude, moral strength
- John didn't have the balls to quit his job, divorce his wife, and start a new life in Tahiti.