- (countable & uncountable) (psychology) If someone has depression, they have a condition which makes them very sad and makes it very hard for them to imagine being happy later.
- (countable & uncountable) A depression is when a person's feelings are very sad and unhappy.
- (countable) A depression is a low point on a surface.
- There was a small depression in the ground where the rock had been.
- (countable & uncountable) A depression is when the economy slows down by a lot.
- Synonym: recession
- The business community is worried that the oil problems could lead to a depression.