- (usually before a noun) The original person or thing, happened or existed before others of its kind.
- The book has been translated from the original Russian version.
- The police were able to return to the goods to the original owners.
- If something is original, it is new and creative.
- Mendelssohn's C minor Trio is a highly original work.
- If you are original, you are creative and different from other people.
- He's one of Canada's most original thinkers.
- (countable) An original is a piece of writing or a work of art that is not a copy.
- I'll give you a copy and we'll keep the original here.