- IPA (key): /ˈsɪmpl/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: sim‧ple
- A simple task is easy to do and easy to understand.
- Synonyms: easy, basic, plain and uncomplicated
- Antonyms: complicated, complex, difficult and sophisticated
- Baking this cake is very simple as it only has 3 steps.
- It's a simple book for learners to read and understand.
- Something that is simple is basic and not complicated.
- Synonyms: basic, plain and uncomplicated
- Antonyms: complicated, complex and sophisticated
- She was poor and only had a simple dress.
- Their plan was very simple.
- A simple person is not intelligent (we sometimes use this in a bad way)
- Synonym: unintelligent
- Antonyms: intelligent and artful
- He isn't a bad boy, he's just a little simple.
- In grammar, the simple aspect is used when the speaker sees the situation as complete (compare progressive aspect).
- "I run" is the present simple; "I'm running" is the present progressive.
- (old, no longer used) (medicine) A simple is a medicine that is prepared only from one plant.
- (transitive & intransitive) (medicine) When you simple things (especially herbs), you are trying to gather simples.