- (uncountable); (chemistry) Water is a clear liquid of the chemical compound H2O that all living things need in order to live.
- Synonym: dihydrogen monoxide
- The dog drank the water from his dish
- Can I please have a glass of water?
- Your plant needs more water as it is about to die.
- (countable) A water is a bottle or glass serving of water.
- "I want to order two waters, waiter".
- (sometimes countable) Water is mineral water.
- (alchemy) Water is one of the four basic elements.
- (India) (Japan) Water is one of the five basic elements (see Wikipedia article on the Classical elements).
- (informal); (biology) Water is urine.
- (US) (biology) Water is amniotic fluid.
- Right before the woman went into labor, her water broke.
- (transitive) If you water something, you add water to soil around plants.
- He waters the plants.
- (transitive) If you water something, you give water to animals.
- He waters the horses.
- (transitive) If you water something, you dilute it.
- (intransitive) If something waters, it fills with water; it secretes water.
- His eyes watered as he cut up the onion.
- (dilute) water down