- (UK) IPA (key): /ˈpɑːtɪsɪpəl/
- (US) IPA (key): /ˈpɑːrtɪsɪpəl/
- Hyphenation: par‧ti‧ci‧ple
- (countable) A participle is a form of a verb that has no tense and is often used as a modifier.
- In the following sentences, the underlined word is a participle:
- Boiling water is very hot.
- The used book had a dirty cover.
- I was studying English when you called this morning.
- I have walked on this street many times.
- The table is supported by four legs.
- Without thinking, he ran down the street.